The Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) is held every Saturday 3:00 – 4:00pm,
and 6:30 – 7:00pm.
Five Steps For a Good Confession
1. Examine your conscience.
2. Be sincerely sorry for your sins.
3. Confess your sins to a priest.
4. Resolve to amend your life.
5. After your confession, do the penance the priest assigns.
Procedure in the Confessional, You say:
“Bless me, Father, in this confession. It has been-(state the length of time)–since my last confession. These are my sins.”
Then tell your mortal sins and the number of times committed. If you have no mortal sin to confess,
Then confess the venial sins you have committed since your last confession.
When you have finished telling your sins, you should say:
“For these and all the sins of my past, I am truly sorry.”
The priest now gives the necessary advice, assigns your penance, and asks you to say the Act of Contrition.
Then wait and listen as the priest gives the absolution.
Then say “Thank you, Father”,
Then leave the confessional and then perform the penance assigned by the priest.
Act of Contrition
“O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven, and the pains of hell, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all good and deserving of all My love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin. Amen.”
Examination of Conscience
"I am the Lord your God. You shall not have strange gods before Me."
"You shall not take the Name of the Lord your God in vain."
- Did I deny or doubt that God exists?
- Did I refuse to believe God’s revelation?
- Did I believe in fortune telling, horoscopes, dreams, the occult, good-luck charms, tarot cards, palmistry, Ouija boards, séances, reincarnation?
- Did I deny that I was a Catholic?
- Did I leave the Catholic Faith?
- Did I neglect prayer for a long time?
- Did I fail to pray daily?
- Did I despair of or presume on God's mercy?
- Did I have false gods in my life that I gave greater attention to than God,like money, profession, drugs, TV, fame, pleasure, property, etc.?
- Did I blaspheme God, insult or take God’s name in vain, curse, or break an oath or vow?
- Did I use profane language?
- Have I insulted a sacred person (i.e. priest; a Nun or a Brother)?
"Remember that you keep holy the Sabbath Day."
- Did I miss Mass on Sunday or a Holy Day of Obligation through my own fault?
- Did I come to Mass on time? Leave early?
- Did I do work on Sunday that was not necessary?
- Did I set aside Sunday as a day of rest and a family day?
- Did I show reverence in the presence of Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament?
"Honor your father and your mother."
- Did I disobey or disrespect my parents or legitimate superiors?
- Did I neglect my duties to my husband, wife, children or parents?
- Did I neglect to give good religious example to my family?
- Did I fail to actively take an interest in the religious education and formation of my children?
- Did I fail to educate myself on the true teachings of the Church?
- Did I give scandal by what I said or did, especially to the young?
- Did I cause anyone to leave the faith?
- Did I cause tension and fights in my family?
- Did I care for my aged and infirm relatives?
- Did I give a full day's work for a full day's pay?
- Did I give a fair wage to my employees?
"You shall not kill."
- Did I kill or physically injure anyone?
- Did I have an abortion, or advise someone else to have an abortion? (One who procures an abortion is automatically excommunicated, as is anyone who is involved in an abortion, Canon 1398. The excommunication will be lifted in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.)
- Did I use or cause my spouse to use birth control pills (whether or not realizing that birth control pills do abort the fetus if and when conceived)?
- Did I attempt suicide?
- Did I take part in or approve of "mercy killing" (euthanasia)?
- Did I get lazy, angry, impatient, envious, unkind, proud, revengeful, jealous, hateful toward another?
- Did I give bad example by drug abuse, drinking alcohol to excess, fighting, quarreling?
- Did I abuse my children?
"You shall not commit adultery."
- Did I use impure or suggestive words? Tell impure stories? Listen to them?
- Did I deliberately look at impure TV, videos, plays, pictures or movies? Or deliberately read impure materials?
- Did I commit impure acts by myself (masturbation)?
- Did I commit impure acts with another - fornication (premarital sex), adultery (sex with a married person)?
- Did I practice artificial birth control (by pills, device, withdrawal)?
- Did I marry or advise anyone to marry outside the Church?
- Did I avoid the occasions of impurity?
- Did I try to control my thoughts?
- Did I engage in homosexual activity?
- Did I respect all members of the opposite sex, or have I thought of other people as objects?
- Did I or my spouse have sterilization done?
- Did I abuse my marriage rights?
“You shall not steal”
- Did I steal, cheat, help or encourage others to steal or keep stolen goods? Have I made restitution for stolen goods?
- Did I fulfill my contracts, give or accept bribes, pay my bills, rashly gamble or speculate, deprive my family of necessities of life?
- Did I give a full day’s work in return for a full day’s pay?
- Did I give a fair wage to my employees?
- Did I waste time at work, in school or at home?
- Did I live in poverty of spirit and detachment?
"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor"
- Did I lie?
- Did I deliberately deceive others, or injure others by lies?
- Did I commit perjury?
- Did I gossip or reveal others' faults or sins?
- Did I fail to keep secret what should be confidential?
“You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife”
- Have I consented to impure thoughts, or caused them by stares, bad reading, curiosity or impure conversation?
- Did I neglect to control my imagination?
- Did I pray to banish such bad thoughts and temptations?
"You shall not covet your neighbors goods."
- Was I greedy?
- Was I jealous or envious of another?
- Was I more concerned about earthly possessions than on the treasure of heaven?
- Did I work, study and keep busy to counter idle thoughts?
PRECEPTS OF THE CHURCH
- Did I eat meat on Fridays of Lent or Ash Wednesday?
- Did I fast as required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday?
- Did I fail to receive Holy Communion during Easter time?
- Did I fail to confess at least once a year?
- Did I go to Holy Communion in the state of mortal sin? Without fasting (water and medicine permitted) for one hour from food and drink?
- Did I make a bad confession?